Jim talks with Bruce Damer about the origins of life…
- Episode Transcript
- Bruce Damer’s TEDx talk: The Origin & Purpose of Life
- JRS EP40 – Eric Smith on the Physics of Living Systems
- The BIOTA Institute
- “The Hot Spring Hypothesis for an Origin of Life,” by Bruce Damer & David Deamer
- JRS EP18 – Stuart Kauffman on Complexity, Biology & T.A.P.
- “The Water Paradox and the Origins of Life” (Nature), by Michael Marshall
- “Urability: A Property of Planetary Bodies That Can Support an Origin of Life,” by David Deamer and Bruce Damer
Canadian-born Dr. Bruce Damer has spent his life pursuing two questions: how did life on Earth begin? and how can we give that life (and ourselves) a sustainable pathway into the future and a presence beyond the Earth? A decade of laboratory and field research with his collaborator Prof. David Deamer at UCSC and teams around the world resulted in the Hot Spring Hypothesis for an Origin of Life, published in Scientific American in 2017 and the journal Astrobiology in 2020. The scenario has now passed its first key experimental tests in the laboratory and at volcanic hot springs around the world and has emerged as a leading contender for a general theory of abiogenesis. Implications of the work are now spreading through evolutionary biology, philosophy, AI and the search for life beyond Earth. New work with collaborators has proposed the urability framework, how life can start on many different worlds, and addresses some aspects of the Fermi Paradox.